Empowerfully Different is What We Do – and Who We Are
Because you don’t have to hate your reporting software.
Windward was born from three basic beliefs:
- Report generation should be trivial
- It should dramatically lower the skill level required to create reports
- It should give people a way to create reports that couldn’t be created otherwise.
From this vision sprang invention. We created a different kind of design platform that lets you leverage the world’s easiest and best-known document creation and spreadsheet programs (Microsoft Word and Excel). You get maximum flexibility and superlative customization capabilities.
But not only are our products are different — we’re different.
From our community outreach to company scavenger hunts to that fact that our CTO travels barefoot through the halls listening to Russian pop music (he doesn’t speak Russian), we thrive in a culture of quirk.
Sometimes this leads to disagreements over the best-new-thing to add to our product or the soundtrack to accompany trade shows. At Windward, there is only one thing we hold sacred: our products must empower customers and their clients to get the reports they want.
Roughly translated, our platform is a paradigm shift. No new software to learn, no IDE, no roadblocks, no waiting on Aisle 5.
A sought-after conference luminary, Shirley has been guiding Windward as President/CEO since June 2009. Her career spans more than 25 years of leadership in the software industry, including enterprise solutions, document management, legal, mortgage processing, entertainment and educational software. Still on her bucket list: winning the Windward Chili Cookoff contest.
CTO / Founder
Blog: Windward Wrocks
If you’re really interested in the compulsory list of impressive-sounding titles Dave has held, check out Dave’s LinkedIn profile. What the profile doesn’t tell you is Dave once created a game so compelling (Enemy Nations) that a now-professional World of Warcraft player lost his job because he played it incessantly on company time.
Lawrence (Larry) Goldman
Director of Marketing
A B2B marketing leader with more than 18 years of professional experience in technology, SaaS and services, Larry drives market awareness and qualified sales leads through a rare combination of technical savvy, customer focus and persuasive communication.
The Windward Story
Reporting and document generation should be simple, but for some reason the solutions that most companies are forced to rely on make it overly complex, tedious and technical. Why can’t generating reports and documents from all your company’s data sources be as simple as creating a Word Document or Excel spreadsheet? That’s the problem we set out to solve.
Our solution was to create software that provides a unique experience using Microsoft Office programs to format and edit report templates.
Behind the scenes, Windward’s sophisticated engine pulls data from multiple sources and merges that data into your reports and documents, creating a fast and hassle-free experience that can actually make generating reports fun.
Developers don’t want to mess with reporting or formatting issues and business users don’t want to have to rely on the IT department to produce reports. Windward delivers a solution that allows IT professionals to create basic templates and business users to customize those templates and create variations to meet their reporting needs.
Windward: Just the Facts
Ten things you might not know about Windward.
- Windward was named for founder David Thielen’s childhood home on the windward side of Oahu, Hawaii.
- The company is headquartered in beautiful Boulder, Colorado.
- Windward is part of Windward Studios, a game development studio that produced the popular and highly-rated RTS game Enemy Nations.
- We sponsor Code Wars.
- Windward helps companies of all sizes, from small businesses to the Fortune 100 to government agencies.
- We strongly advise against hiring interns from Harvey Mudd.
- Windward’s customers span 70 countries and 6 continents.
- We’re the makers of Dash, the iPad Google Analytics tool.
- Customers applications include financial statements, inventory reports, product-usage reports, purchase orders, invoices, training certificates, timesheets, and licenses.
- Windward commissioned one of the earliest “truly viral” online videos.